Tuesday 22 April 2014

Conclusion

During this project I have defined myself as an artist, I have enjoyed the process' I have taken during the development of the 3D environment. Which will lead me to become a 3D environment and prop artist as theses two areas are the ones that interest me the most.
Through out this project I have pushed myself to learn and understand new techniques, I feel that I have accomplished this I have gain knowledge of many techniques which can be used in future 3D work.

Although under the pressure to complete this project on time I have missed certain key areas which I will need to re-visit to gain a full understanding such as displacement maps I understand the overall process needed to produce this but I do not fully understand how this can work in various situations I hope to take a more detailed look into this technique during my own personal time.

I plan to also improve on my overall shader knowledge as during this project I started to use more complicated shaders such as the water shader.
Shaders are great tools to make 3D work look unique and there is so much that can be done within this technique I would like to pursue this and learn how various game engines use shader networks and how to produce more unique shaders.

I was happy with the final outcome of my scene, apart from a few areas which I felt lacked which if I went back I would improve this if the time to do so was there. Firstly the modular building I developed for this project they were developed in a way in which it would be very simple by making these simple they lost the detail needed to really push out a sense of a medieval scene I spent a lot of time on shader work and less time on these modular assets, I would of liked to gained skills in high poly modelling or sculpting as I would of been able to not only increase my skillset as an artist but I would of been able to produce more detailed and unique assets.

Animations during this project I had various visions in which animations were needed, I did not want to use any preset animations inside of UDK I wanted to produce all my own work for this project. Animations I could not understand how to import them from my 3D application to work inside UDK I tried various online sources for guidance and there was no luck, for example I wanted my flag assets to have cloth physics to give realistic movement as I could not use my animations produced within Maya I had to find a simple fix which I did, an animated texture which from distance works but it still lacked the desired effect I intended to portray.

Lastly project management, I have really come a long way since my first year project where there was no sign of any kind of project management, I started to understand how to plan my project during my team project Game Development, using various management tools then allowed me to understand how I can plan for my own personal work which I did through out this project using set and personal mile stones, keeping track of all work needed through Trello the project management tool this helped me get to a finished state. Yet I still lack somewhat due to time planning in some cases I did not plan the amount of time needed for Asset X this some times kept the work load heavy due to poor time planning but because of this I have started to understand my personal limits as an artist and now I have the opportunity to work on the limits and gain new skills.

To summarize I have enjoyed the overall development process of this project and I hope to keep refining my skills as a environment artist which can lead to future opportunities within the games industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment