Sunday 26 January 2014

Development Process - Block-out

The block-out stage of level design is very important, it allows us as artists to understand how the level/scene should flow, I decided to work on a quick block-out scene which I always refereed back to my chosen concept art, In doing a block-out during the early stages of development it enables me to understand the whole structure of my scene from a primitive level as you can see I have only used very basic primitive shapes to produce this block-out and yet you can really see it coming to life even at this simple stage.

Blocking out allows me to understand the positioning, scale and proportions of each asset within UDK, Although the sole purpose of creating this scene is more on an art based level, I feel always working as if i'm developing a playable level will over-time refine my level design skills which I personally think is a great asset to add to my skill-set.

As you can see in the image below, The block-out is at its simplest level, it shows the main sections of the concept art, this will help me understand what is needed in the areas in-which the concept art doesn't show but in working with this block-out and various concept references, I will be able to complete this scene.

Block-Out - UDK


I started added extra detail to my block-out I did not want to spend too much time with the block-out as its only a simple basis for the final product, I just need to gain more visual information in how I intend to construct my scene,as you can see in the image below there is not a massive difference apart from a few re-positioning and various little changes. 





















Block-Out .2 - UDK

During the block-out I needed to look at certain areas in-which the concept lacked visually, as you can see in the image below in direction of the arrow we can not see in that direction so I have to interpenetrate what might be there.

Sewer Entrance - Ref.
So I started looking at various concept art and images from medieval cities or towns, as the concept shows a lake of sorts or canal, So i started looking at sewer entrances as I feel this would would perfectly within this scene and actually make sense in the real world, I didn't want to add something randomly just for the sake of it I want my scene to make sense to the viewer.

The reference to the right is an image I found I really like this as a sewer entrance, it can add a lot to the scene in terms of the water flow, depending if I want a calm water flow or a more rapid one, which leads into the city, as it travels through the sewer gate the water if faster could splash against the entrance created a more realistic water flow obliviously this would rely on a well executed water shader but it allows me to add more ideas into this scene to create a more dynamic one.

Block-out showing sewer entrance, I may need to go back and look at the overall scale as it does seem to larger although this works I am not fully convinced it fits in with the scene as I would like.

No comments:

Post a Comment