Saturday 8 March 2014

Water Shader & Cube Maps

Water shader, This was a massive stepping stone as an artist myself as I have never attempted to create such an in-depth shader, this took a lot of time when learning what nodes/expressions within the material editor do what, and how I can create a water effect which would fit my scene/concept.

To gain the reflection needed that would relate to my environment I produced a cube map, which renders out images in various directions, these images are then used within the shader to create the desired reflection.
Once I rendered out my cube map I only used one of the rendered images as seen below I used the image of the sky dome being used within my scene this gave the reflection of the sky across my water shader. Worked very well in reflected the color of the sky dome the pinks and oranges bringing to life the water shader.

Cube Map Render Target











Render used for shader



















Once I had my water shader looking the way I wanted and reacting to my scene, for example the water depth and how it changes the actual mesh beneath even though this water shader is applied to a single plan mesh, After this was done I started looking at the flow of the water shader, as you can see from the three images below I changed the water shader settings to give a varied effect of the water flow, Figure.1 shows a more think and dense water flow where as figure.2 and 3. have a more disperse water flow.

As my scene is based around some kind of canal or sewer running through a medieval city/village, I can only assume that it is a man-made so the water flow would be quite mucky, dark and also have a more dense water flow, I will still be working on this water shader until the final hand-in as it is a massive dynamic part of my overall scene I feel it needs the most attention.


Figure.1

Figure.2

Figure.3

No comments:

Post a Comment